What's going on with the boat?

After ten years living on Tarquilla we have moved to land. I'm often asked if we love the house or miss the boat and the real answer is - both. We still have Tarquilla and we are open to all options at the moment as far as her future is concerned. We will carry on working on her, it would be great to be able to sail her again. The Scilly Isles, Portishead marina, Bristol harbour and Falmouth are all places we have talked about as well as many others further afield. But, on the other hand, if a family was looking for a boat, ready to do the preparation she needs and wanted to take her on then we would sell her. She is not ready to sail off into the sunset but has a lot of life left in her. If you or someone you know would be interested then please contact us. She is 3 ply cold moulded, 42 foot long, one off design built in the 1960's. She has 2 double cabins and 2 single berths, a good size saloon, a decent size galley, head and a covered cockpit. She has two engines and a full suit of sails. We have lots more photos and can provide more details or answer questions. In the meantime, this blog has come to a natural pause for now as we take on new adventures.

Feeling rejected


I got my first rejection letter last week.


Obviously that was not the reply I wanted although realistically it was what I expected. My first book was written, rewritten, edited and polished before being sent off for agents to glimpse at. One amongst all the thousands of other manuscripts they get sent, only a few of which they can actually take on.


The standard advice for writers submitting a manuscript is to do your best, send it off and then start the next project. It stops you brooding or obsessively checking your email or wanting to phone them up to make sure it has been received. It turns out however that starting a new life and trying to organise things like schools, jobs and everything else is quite a useful distraction from waiting to hear from the agents. The weeks have flown past in a blur of activity and adjustment with me only occasionally wondering how long it will be before I hear.

 
So now, here we are, the first rejection letter has arrived in my inbox. Polite, to the point and very matter of fact but never the less a rejection. A year of work and hours of writing and editing. I should probably feel more disappointed but really it is an achievement in its own way. I actually finished a book and sent it off to several agents and this little email acknowledges that work.


Some people estimate that there are thousands of unfinished manuscripts sat in drawers, filing cabinets and boxes all over the country, started but never finished. If you then think about all the people who say ‘I’ll write a book one day’ the numbers go even higher. But I did it. I actually finished it and sent it off.

 
I have also learned a lot about the submission process from this and about writing a synopsis. If nothing else, these will be useful skills for the future. If the worst that happens is a polite email saying no what have you got to lose? I’m not pleased that it was rejected. I’m not celebrating failure but I am marking a milestone. I have received the first 'proper' acknowledgement of myself as a writer, as yet unpublished, but you never know what tomorrows in-box will bring.


Comments

Popular Posts